Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Owl appliqué quilt.

Doug's owl quilt is finished! 
 On our king size bed!
This quilt is  62" by 48" a good nap size.
I have been making quilts for over 30 years, giving them away to relatives, friends and charities.  In all this time, I never made one for Doug. Between the appliqué and free motion quilting it took about 70 hours to complete. Doug commented he was pleased that I put the ribbons on for him to play with when he is old. My initials and the year "ted 2018" are below the sleeping worm.
 Free motion quilted the owl on the yellow print squares.
 The back side is blue flannel.
I traced this motif out of a book on to a plastic template sheet.  Traced on the quilt top with Pilot Frixion pens, then free motion quilted with light blue thread.  After quilting, the marks were removed with a hot iron.  The pen marks will reappear if the quilt is tossed in the deep freeze or left outside when it is below freezing temperature. Put the quilt in a hot dryer the pen marks disappear like magic.
 Backside.
The appliquéd owls were made from scraps of flannel and recycled denim squares.
This quilt was lots of fun to make.  No doubt there will more. 
Dear Readers,  I hope you are all enjoying an excellent summer.  I don't blog as much as I used to, but always welcome your comments.  Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.