Thursday, August 11, 2011

Green Elna Supermatic Sewing Machine

Manufactured in Switzerland in June 1954.  This Elna is operated with a knee bar rather than a foot pedal.  The all metal case converts the free arm to a flat bed sewing surface.  I like the way Elna designed the case to be used this way.
My Elna arrived with manual, accessories and half a dozen cams to make decorative and zig zag stitches.
This is where the cams are inserted.
The accessory tray fits over the free arm and opens up where the cams and feet are stored.
Of course, after cleaning, I oiled her up to immediately play with the cams.  I put dark brown thread in the bobbin with yellow in the  top.  Then I switched the top thread to red, I thought it looked better.  Elna sews flawlessly. 
 Look at that paint job!  Isn't she pretty?
The little tool that looks like the letter "Y" is the cam lifter for removing the cams from the machine, it works really well.
This is the accessory box put together.  There is a compartment under the row of bobbins which is holding two screwdrivers.
The sample stitches were made on two pieces of 100% cotton with one layer of 100% cotton batting sandwiched between.  The top layer is plain white and bottom side is white with mint green stripes all salvaged from my scrap box.
I was very impressed with the tension on this Elna, the only trouble I had was when I didn't have the bobbin threaded correctly. The bobbin is located behind the presser foot, which I find difficult to thread properly.
Have a super duper Thursday all.  For more vintage treasures head over to Colorado Lady's blog.

10 comments:

  1. I do not sew, but have been around lots of others that did. This is a most unusual and interesting machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand machine you have here!! I love the color of it!! I saw on your side bar that you have a Necchi machine too. I learned how to sew on my Mom's Necchi!!

    Thans so much for your visit!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is not just cool it's practical that it works! Looks like you're already having a lot of fun with it, which makes it the best kind of vintage "thingie" of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw one of these a few weeks ago at a thrift store, and it was a good price, but the top of it was scratched, and a lot of the paint was missing, from someone not putting it in the case correctly. I didn't open the case all the way to see if it had it's accessories or not. When we went back a few weeks later, it was not, not surprisingly.

    I had an earlier version of this machine years ago, but let it go. It remember it sewed beautifully, and it was so quiet. That was after I sent it to Ray White in Missouri to rework the motor, which was gummed with old oil.

    A classic machine. I'm glad it is in a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found this! My grandmother just gave me her 1954 Elna - looks just like yours. I cannot, for the life of me, get the cams out! It says in the manual to remove the thumb nut that holds the cams in place. Is this supposed to be as simple as unscrewing it? I cannot make it budge at all! Also, I heard that with each cam, the stitch width lever and the stitch length need to be at very specific spots for the cam to work properly. Are all the single cams the same setting and all the double cams the same setting? Thanks for your help on this - I really appreciate it! You can email me at chantelle(dot)falk(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the year of the Elna Supermatic, you either unscrew the black cap and lift it out with the "Y" tool...you may need to move the lever that regulates the forward and back stiches. Or, you may need to push down on the chrome cam holder to have the cam pop out...if it is the more recent model. The manual discusses the later method.

      Delete
  6. PS: Nice to see another prairie girl - I just live a couple hours south in Niverville! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Chantelle, Very nice to meet you as well. I sent you an email to answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Im looking to find any information on a sewing machine I have its a Nelco, golden stitch series it says on it Necchi and Elna from 1948-1963. I was wondering if it was worth anything it works as far as I know, I dont really know how to work a sewing machine too well. any info. Id appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Amanda,
    Unfortunately, vintage sewing machines were mass produced from about 1900 to 1970. Today the supply exceeds the demand. I've picked up most of my vintage machines for less than $100 CAD. There is a Nelco golden stitch for sale on ebay for $79.99. A sewing machine mechanic will probably charge $50-$75 to clean, oil and get the machine sewing. If you have the manual and accessories, there are websites that will walk you through routine sewing machine maintenance for free. Good luck, with your sale.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.