Monday, February 19, 2018

Care Bear cape for big sister Anastasia.

Anastasia is 3 years old, I sent her pictures of fabric options.  She chose care bears with rainbows for her dress up cape.  This little cape is reversible and fastens with velcro (hook and loop tape).
This is a child size 4. 

 This turquoise green fabric is polyester.
The pattern is Simplicity 2571
I modified the pattern to be reversible, the  cape in this pattern is not lined.  It was sewn with a Husqvarna Sapphire 930 sewing machine.  The top stitching was done with decorative tiny stars.
 front and back views
Care bear print views.
I do hope Anastasia likes her new cape.
Happy stitching.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Serena's first birthday quilt.

Surprise!  yes I'm still here, just not blogging as much as previous years, since I retired my time is at a premium.  My granddaughter Serena Rose will be one year old in March.   The overall size of Serena's quilt is 47 by 59 inches.  The photos were taken on our king size bed. 
 This is a care bear pattern designed with Electric Quilt 7.
The top is 100% cotton, the ribbons are polyester, the batting is warm and natural 100% cotton and the backing is pieced flannel.
Free motion quilted with sunshine, heart shaped leaves and butterflies.  The circles of the sunshines were marked with a Clover blue chalk marking pen for quilting.
Unfortunately, the blue markings were very difficult to remove.  After three washes, twice spraying  with Shout prewash stain remover, then scrubbing with a toothbrush.. I can still see trace amounts of blue chalk.   Thank God I only marked the circles.
 I love the way the circles of the suns popped up after washing.
 Backside views.
After some embroidery fun, Serena's quilt is finished. 
 Every toddler needs a sleeping worm.
If you look closely you can see my initials and year (ted 2018) in matching thread under Serena's name in the pink flowered border.   This quilt was a labour of love.  Happy stitching!

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Ruffled Sunbonnet for newborn.

Made this sun bonnet for Élodie today. She's only six weeks & 4 days old. The store bought hats are too big. It is 100% cotton scraps from quilts. It can be made bigger by loosening the back tie. I sort of followed this tutorial
My doll's name is Rebecca, she is identical to my granddaughter Anastasia's baby. I bought her to make doll clothes. 
 Rebecca was quite delighted to model Élodie's hat.
  She closes her eyes when she's sleeping. 

😂 Happy stitching.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Project Linus Make a Blanket Day - Spiderman Quilt

April 29th, 2017 Project Linus hosted a make a blanket day in Brandon.  Forty-five blanketeers showed up to knit, croquet, piece, iron, and quilt.  In addition to these volunteers, several people dropped off finished blankets (10 big bags).  Thank you so much to all the generous talented people. As part of the Project Linus committee, I hosted three cutting days in my craft emporium.
We designed 30 quilts, cut all the pieces, binding and backing, so blanketeers were able to make a quilt with Project Linus materials.  
I selected the Spider Man kit below.
pieced on April 29th.
After pin basting, I pondered about it for two weeks on how to quilt it. Instead of stitching in the ditch or free motion quilting my usual Jesters' Hats, Heart-Shaped Leaves, Feathers, Butterflies, Flowers and other girly motifs, I decided on a spider web, which was completely outside my comfort zone.  
First I folded and marked the middle, drawing straight lines with chalk and a ruler.  Then I stitched all the lines from the centre to the outside edges.
The slanted lines were free motion quilted starting in the middle and working in circles.
My first quilted spider web! 
 This is the back.
 and finished front.
Purchased the spider web backing in clearance section of Halloween fabrics. It is 100% cotton.
I do hope this Spider Man quilt will bring some child comfort.  It was made with lots of tender loving care.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Care Quilt & Nifty Needlers

This quilt is going to the Westman Women's Shelter, most of the fabric was donated.  
The quilt back, borders and some blocks are 100% cotton from my stash.
The yellow and white checked rectangles are 100% polyester scraps from shopping bags.
The white rectangles with red hearts and the white with red roses were free motion quilted with heart-shaped leaves and jesters' hats.  
 The inspiring words were machine embroidered.
 The photos were taken on a king size bed.
Free motion quilting heart-shaped leaves and butterflies in the borders.
The binding is 100% drapery fabric, it has an interesting texture and was the right colour.
Rather than hand stitching the back side of binding, I top-stitch a 3-step zig-zag on the front the front side.
In spring 2016, I joined Nifty Needlers, these awesome ladies meet every second Wednesday from the beginning of September to the end of April.  They run quilting, sewing, crafting classes, raffle off a queen size quilt, have a quilt show, make and serve tea at the quilt show.  There are several  committees and about 80 members.  They raise money for the hospital, make quilts for the homeless, Project Linus and the women's shelter.   I'm on the Care Quilt and Project Linus committees.  Project Linus is hosting its second make a blanket day (MABD) in Brandon on April 29th.  We have been busy cutting up quilt kits to hand out to blanketeers.  
Dear readers/followers, I saved the biggest and best news for last!  I have a new grand daughter Serena Rose born last week.  Between playing with grandkids, sewing receiving blankets, flannel crib sheets, pj shirts for my daughter, cutting up quilt kits for Project Linus, adult colouring, photography, walking the dog and playing the piano, there is little time left for blogging.   Would love read your comments if anyone is reading this. Happy stitching.