Thursday, May 24, 2018

Spider man and Olaf quilts for Project Linus 2018.

Spider man quilt is 46" by 56", photos were taken on king size bed.  The spider man fabric was purchased on-line at Hobby Lobby in the USA.  This 100% cotton fabric is fabulous.
The spider web fabric (outside border and binding) also 100% cotton is halloween fabric from Fabricland.
 Free motion spider web motif.
 Back side.
 
 The spider web shows up better on backside.  
Olaf the snowman from the movie "Frozen" panel was also purchased on-line from Hobby Lobby.
The centre piece with blue border was the panel, I added the ribbons, black polka dot inside border and dark brown outside border.  Olaf was free motion quilted with a giant snowflake design, feathers, loop-de-loos and heart shaped leaves.
 Project Linus label on backside. 
Free motion heart shaped leaves and loop-de-loos on outside border. 
Both of these quilts are going to  Camp Bridges (bereavement) May 26-28, 2018.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Appliqué owl fun

My love affair continues accuquilt go cutter dies and embroidery software.  This week is all about owls, cut from flannel scraps then appliquéd on  denim squares.  Eventually it will be a quilt.
 Each one has its own personality. 
 Flower power owl.
 Hearts say "I love you"
 Wearing a little red bow. 
 Dog print body.
 Weird eye balls. 
Yellow version of flower power.
I did not realize before I appliquéd the body in place that my green owl had a faded fold line right across the tummy. Now it is hidden by mini thistle flowers.
Note to self:  when embroidering owl feet on dark denim use light coloured threads. 
Happy stitching all. 

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Accuquilt go appliqué cutting dies with machine embroidery software.

In March 2018, I bought an Accuquilt Go Cutter starter kit.  It makes cutting faster, more accurate and easier.  Last week I purchased a few appliqué cutting dies, as well as the matching machine embroidery software.
In the hoop is green flannel background with blue flannel dragonfly and pink daisy print butterfly.  I used metallic silver thread on the dragon fly's wings.
This flannel quilt frayed in the wash.
It was repaired using little critters. 
The green dragon fly was was appliquéd directly on the quilt.  Which was difficult to hoop because the quilt is so thick and it did not cover the entire frayed flannel. Under the right wing I did some free motion meandering to patch it. The bubble bee and butterfly both on yellow flannel were appliquéd in the hoop, then stitched to the quilt and clipped raggie style. This worked really well completely covering the frayed seams.
These appliqué dies will be used to enhance quilts, bags, wall hangings and clothing. New toys are always so much fun to play with. 

Monday, February 19, 2018

Care Bear cape for big sister Anastasia.

Anastasia is 3 years old, I sent her pictures of fabric options.  She chose care bears with rainbows for her dress up cape.  This little cape is reversible and fastens with velcro (hook and loop tape).
This is a child size 4. 

 This turquoise green fabric is polyester.
The pattern is Simplicity 2571
I modified the pattern to be reversible, the  cape in this pattern is not lined.  It was sewn with a Husqvarna Sapphire 930 sewing machine.  The top stitching was done with decorative tiny stars.
 
 front and back views
Care bear print views.
I do hope Anastasia likes her new cape.
Happy stitching.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Serena's first birthday quilt.

Surprise!  yes I'm still here, just not blogging as much as previous years, since I retired my time is at a premium.  My granddaughter Serena Rose will be one year old in March.   The overall size of Serena's quilt is 47 by 59 inches.  The photos were taken on our king size bed. 
 This is a care bear pattern designed with Electric Quilt 7.
The top is 100% cotton, the ribbons are polyester, the batting is warm and natural 100% cotton and the backing is pieced flannel.
Free motion quilted with sunshine, heart shaped leaves and butterflies.  The circles of the sunshines were marked with a Clover blue chalk marking pen for quilting.
  
Unfortunately, the blue markings were very difficult to remove.  After three washes, twice spraying  with Shout prewash stain remover, then scrubbing with a toothbrush.. I can still see trace amounts of blue chalk.   Thank God I only marked the circles.
 I love the way the circles of the suns popped up after washing.
 Backside views.
After some embroidery fun, Serena's quilt is finished. 
 Every toddler needs a sleeping worm.
If you look closely you can see my initials and year (ted 2018) in matching thread under Serena's name in the pink flowered border.   This quilt was a labour of love.  Happy stitching!