Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nursing Cape - a quick easy baby gift.

Barb's granddaughter Kendra was born on September 30, 2009.  Her daughter had borrowed one of these nursing capes, so Barb copied the measurements so we could sew them.  We made six capes from one sheet at Stitch n Bitch last Wednesday.  It is so simple to make and functional.  The boning allows mum to watch baby feed in public and keep her modesty.
 Materials:
27" X 37" piece of cotton or polycotton fabric (we used an old sheet)
14" of 1/4 inch boning (the stuff we put in strapless dresses and corsets)
4" X 27" strip of cotton or polycotton fabric (we used the same sheet)

Sewing directions:
Hem the edges of the 27" x 37" by folding over 1/2 inch twice or serge all the edges and fold over 1/2 inch then hem.  You can be fancy and miter your corners but I did not.  Heck, I used the original wide hem (from my sheet) on one edge.

Fold the long side of your rectangle in half and mark the centre with a pin or marker.  On the wrong side sew the boning (curve towards the right side of the fabric) on the hem starting seven inches from your centre mark.

Fold the short side of  the  4" by 27" strip in half so it is two inches by 27 inches.  With right sides together sew one side shut and along the side to make a strap.  Turn your strap and press.  Here again, you can be fancy and put some top-stitching on your strap.  Take the finished end and sew over top of the boning on the wrong side of the fabric to cover the boning raw edge.  Try it on and adjust your length now.  Tuck in the raw edges on the cut end and sew it on top of the other end of the boning to cover the raw edges.
 
 
Sorry, I was the only model available and I took the photo!  Talk about multi-tasking sheesh!

3 comments:

  1. Creative idea! I used to just throw a receiving blanket over one shoulder if I wasn't at home and needed a few minutes of privacy to nurse a baby. This looks like it would be cooler during the hot months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes I crochet; taught myself over 35 years ago. I love to work with thread. Currently, I am working on a tablecloth for my future daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used one of these with my son, and it was great...I always felt like I could nurse him anywhere I went but with some privacy and modesty! I love the print on the one you showed!

    Blessings, Grace

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.