Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple wedding sewing.

Things have finally settled down in my craft emporium following all the excitement from Shannon and AJ's wedding on July 2nd.  The newlyweds stayed with us until July 10.  They were very busy packing their wedding gifts and Shannon's furniture that we had been storing in our basement since September 2009.   In a sentimental moment, I gifted Shannon my favourite sewing machine (Heidi my Husqvarna 500) and the early 1900s solid block cut oak Singer cabinet Heidi resides in.
I had more difficulty parting with the cabinet than the sewing machine. They will be living in Kingston, Ontario, where Shannon has plans to sew a dog bed and coat for her new puppy that is expected to be born next week.  I'm delighted that she'll have a reliable sewing machine, as well as a lovely piece of furniture.  I have replaced the Singer cabinet with a small second hand desk, at the moment Ruby my Husqvarna 6570 is set up on it.  The desk has two big drawers full of surger thread and two smaller drawers full of sewing machine accessories, Ruby's cams and manual.  There is tons more storage space in the desk then the old Singer cabinet.
 
Just before their wedding I did do some sewing but time was at a premium so nothing was blogged about.  I sewed a white cotton corset Simplicity 5006 Misses' Lingerie
I used a narrow red satin ribbon and tiny round eyelet buttonholes.  The pattern called for cording (?) and grommets.  Both were not my idea of lingerie under a wedding gown.  I made view A which is the white corset on the envelope.  It fit her like a glove and reduced her waist from 29 inches to 27.5 inches.  She said it was comfortable, the only problem was she couldn't eat all her wedding dinner because there was no room in the corset for her tummy to expand.  I never took a single photo not even one on the dress form./span> Three of the four bridesmaids had their dresses shortened.  I recycled the fabric to make handkerchiefs for the groom and his groomsmen's tuxedos.  I also made two red garters for Shannon.

  
Véronique's fiancée Scott caught the garter.  They are getting married July 7, 2012 in Montréal.  I will most likely be doing some wedding sewing again next June.  

1 comment:

  1. What a gift of love! At least you know where to go visit!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.