Monday, March 12, 2012

Cutter's Zoo Animal Quilt is finished!

 His name is embroidered with Sulky 100% rayon thread in the needle and black bobbin thread in the bobbin.  The binding is royal blue 100% nylon fabric, machine stitched with royal blue thread in the needle and invisible thread in the bobbin.
The linked echo feathers are sewn with Gutermann 100% variegated thread using a straight stitch needle plate, Pfaff Dynamic Spring Motion 6D quilting foot and a Schmetz 80/12 universal needle. The sewing machine is a Pfaff Creative 2 with the feed dogs down and stitch length set to zero.
The backing is 100% cotton flannel.  The batting is Warm and Natural 80% cotton and 20% polyester.
I used four bobbins on the linked feathers and almost eight bobbins of 100% polyester yellow thread on the echoing around the feathers to fill the borders.  I got bored with echoing so I put a few more feathers in the echoing. 
 I didn't mark the quilt or use a parchment paper pattern.  The whole thing was done free hand.  In hindsight, I wish I had used a solid yellow colour for the feathers like the echoing.  I think the variegated thread colours take away from the feather shapes on this border.
I think the back looks pretty good.
I have tried to attach binding with mitered corners in the past and did not like the results at all.  Recently I discovered Dara's blog Sew Snuggly Quilts, where she wrote an excellent tutorial for attaching the binding that is easy peasy to do.
Just look at those lovely corners.  Thanks tons Dara! I machine stitched the binding in place instead of hand stitching so the quilt can withstand multiple washings.
For the past several years, I've been marking my quilts with my initials and the year in matching thread somewhere in the bottom right corner.
TED 2012 is embroidered in white Coats 100% polyester duel duty thread.
It is more visible on the back side.
This quilt is large enough for a toddler bed measuring 61 inches by 53 inches.  It was photographed on our queen sized bed.
Another UFO completed!  Yippee... ~dancing around the room with glee.

11 comments:

  1. Tammy, your quilt looks great and your feathers look fabulous! Looks so professional! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love it when a UFO gets finished. Fireworks, bring on the band, let's celebrate! And, this quilt is truly beautiful. Great job!

    Congratulations on another finish.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! So nice to get one more off the UFO list :-)
    Pat in OR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!! Love the little ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, i'm glad my tutorial helped! :) Very cute quilt and your feathers look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, nice job! I am so happy for you!
    Cathy at the ahapppygreenfrog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Tammy, your feathers look very professional. I love how you quilted this quilt. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy! Your feathers are awesome! And I love the idea of quilting your name and the year right onto the quilt. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the help with my binding - hoping to be done this week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.