Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Zippered cell phone case.

Yesterday I found an excellent tutorial on Facebook complete with utube video to make a mini zippered pouch.  Of course, I needed to make one of these for my cell phone.  Here is my first try.
The outside is recycled denim from old blue jeans.  The inside is scrap flannel from sleep pants.
There is interfacing on the denim and I put quilt batting on inside flannel layer.  This was a mistake.  It was difficult to sew through six layers of denim, plus two layers of quilt batting and flannel where the zipper tabs are.  I thought it needed the extra padding but it was too bulky to box the corners.   This one is long enough, but too wide for my cell phone.
These fabric pieces were 7 inches by 5 inches.  The zipper was 9 inches and the zipper tabs were 2.5" squares.  
 Inside out.  
It is too wide for just my cell phone, but there is room for other items, such as a house key, money etc. Most likely it will be my go to bag for walking the dog.  The key ring makes it easy to attach to a golf bag or belt loop with no fear of it falling out of a pocket and getting lost or wet.
Today I measured my cell phone and made another.  These fabric pieces are 7 inches by 3.5 inches, zipper is 9 inches and zipper tabs are 2.5 by 2.5 inches.  I did box the corners but did not like the look, so I ripped them out.
 100% quilting cotton on the inside.
Recycled denim jeans on the outside.
The fit is good.
What a quick, easy, fun project to use up scraps from bigger projects.  I think these little zippered pouches have multiple uses, can be custom sized and would make excellent gifts.
 
Thank you Deby at So Sew Easy for the excellent tutorial and video.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tammy, great work.
    Zipper cases are an interesting little challenge, I made my 1st attempt with the left-over leather from my 1st Handbag!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.