Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reversible Toddler Cape - A Big Sister Gift

Two of my great nieces (Gillian and Magna) will be three years old in June and August 2013.  Gillian has a baby brother Seth and the Maggie will have a sibling in March 2013.  I made both of these precious little ladies Strawberry Shortcake tutu cute quilts

As most children love to play dress up, I decided to make them fairy princess capes for big sister presents.
 The cape in this pattern has a lined hood with facing in the cape.
By modifying the pattern, with lining and no facing, the cape is reversible.
 This lovely pink 100% cotton fabric has sparkles!
 Light blue rip stop nylon for the second side.
 Matches the blue in the fairy wings.
 
 Lime green rip stop nylon.
All the seams were surged before sewing the lining in place.
 Green and pink ribbon tie.
The green cape was sewn on my Pfaff Creative 2 with green thread, the pink on my Husqvarna Lily 555 with pink thread.
After reversing the cape, a decorative stitch of tiny pink flowers was top stitched on all the edges using the Husqvarna Lily.
 
 
 
This one is finished and ready to be mailed, along with Seth's quilt.  
I'll finish the blue and pink one this weekend, though it will be challenging as I do not have enough blue for the cape and hood.  My options are to either modify pattern again to fit the fabric, choose a different fabric or make the cape light blue with a pink hood on both sides.  As the craft emporium has tons of fabric, it is one of my goals to use only fabric on hand rather than buying more.

Dear Readers, What are 2013 projects?  Do you make lists?

Happy stitching.

1 comment:

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.