The bobbin tire was cracked and very gummy.
This is after scrubbing them with the toothbrush.
All shiny and clean.
Look how dirty the water got.
This lint was just packed in there.
After all her insides and outsides were clean, she got oiled with Singer sewing machine oil and put back together.
Even after several years of vintage sewing machine collecting, I had a terrible time getting this machine to sew after her spa treatment. She was sewing before and now every time I threaded it up the needle broke the top thread. I changed the needle, the thread, rethreaded everything. Went to the manual and double checked inserting a new needle, threading the machine at least a half a dozen times. Still the needle thread kept breaking after only one stitch! Sheeesh.. I was stumped. So put everything away and slept on it. From my experience either the needle wasn't inserted properly or the machine wasn't threaded correctly. It appeared as though everything I was doing was correct. This morning I went back to the manual and the light bulb went on.
The wrong manual was included with the sewing machine.
Once I used the correct manual, it sewed beautifully and never broke the needle thread even once.
The top thread is blue and bottom is variegated brown, green and orange. Using two different colours of thread make tweaking the tension easier.
A most successful project!