Monday, September 28, 2009

Burgoyne Surrounded

This quilt took me twenty years to finish because I was too sensitive back then. 

In 1987, I cut and pieced the top.  I made the backing , then pinned the top, batting and backing together.


I showed my treasure to my loving husband. His only comment was he was not fussy about the colour. I immediately packed it up in a plastic bag and stashed it in my playpen.  At that time, I only had a playpen full of fabric, one sewing machine and no serger.

 As the years passed, sometimes I would share my unfinished quilt with my sewing friends.  I would pull it out of the bag and unfold it, tell the story about Doug not being fussy about the colours.  The comments I got were always the same, I should finish it as who really cares if he likes the colours.
 
Tammy's Craft Emporium began hosting Stitch n Bitch in the fall of 2006 after my son's bedroom was converted to sewing room.  Once I had a big closet, the playpen was retired.  Again I revisited my stash of fabric and incomplete projects.  In the summer of 2007, I finished it.  Twenty years ago, when I started quilting it I was using invisible thread and stitching in the ditch.  Two years ago, I scrapped the invisible thread and stippled the light fabric on the inside and the coloured print on the outside border.  When it was finally finished, I showed it to Doug.  He said it was really nice.
My Burgoyne Surrounded quilt is permanently displayed on the back of a comfy chair in my Craft Emporium.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad you finished this up? Its lovely and proof we shouldn't let others decide for us which quilts we should make. I am glad you completed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! Yes I am actually quite thrilled this quilt is finished. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! The quilt deserved to be finished, and you did a great job changing the quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.